artfully distressed

pictures of what I create and the places, people and ideas which inspire my art.

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Felted notebook cover

Last post I talked about making a piece of felt using the techniques described by Moy Mackay in her fabulous book. This is what I turned the piece into - a notebook cover decorated with free machine embroidery and beading for Mum's birthday present. I used ribbon stitched to the back cover to make a tie closure. (The whole process, felting and making the book cover, was done the same day as despite being quite thick the felt dried quickly on a radiator). 

 
 
Detail of the machine embroidery and beading

 
Moy's method starts with a base layer of white fibres and I loved the look and feel of the reverse so much that I decided not to back the felt on anything so you can see the stitching.

 
 
For the notebook pages I cut some cartridge paper to size, folded it and pierced holes through and then stitched the pages in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment